Pages

Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Homemade Caramel Candies

This is a recipe I found on Pinterest and decided to give it a try and see if it is any good.  I love it... When hubby gets home we will get his opinion!

Ingredients

candy thermometer
wax or parchment paper
1 can sweet condensed milk
2 C sugar
1 cup butter
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 cup white Karo Syrup
1-2 tsp of vanilla ( I added this because vanilla makes everything better!)
 
Instructions
Cook and stir constantly until it reaches 240 degrees.
 
A Few Of My Observations
* I found that it is best to use a wooden spoon if you have one. 
* Try not to splash the sides and if you do don't scrape them.  The sugar will crystalize and make your caramels crunchy.
* If you see brown specks remove the pan quickly it has gotten too hot!
* This sets up quickly which is great because it smells amazing.