Pages

Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Meat Muffins?

I hate the name meat loaf for some reason it is a major turn off for me, so I have avoided making meatloaf for 6 years now, but one day I decided to give it a try.  Instead of doing a loaf though I thought I would make it more kid/Raegan friendly and made them in a cupcake pan.  That first night I was feeling ambitious and used my icing bags and piped mashed potatoes on top and sprinkled them with cheese and bacon so that they looked like cupcakes.  They turned out very cute!  I made my meat (loaf) again last night and after hubby said it was amazing I decided to share the recipe here!

1 1/2 pounds lean ground beef
1 large onion, chopped (I use 1 tsp onion powder)                                  
salt to taste ground black pepper to taste
garlic powder to taste
6 slices white bread, cut into cubes (I used Italian bread crumbs till firm)
1/2 cup milk
1 egg
3 tablespoons yellow mustard, divided
1/2 cup tomato sauce, divided                                   
3 tablespoons brown sugar                      

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
In a large bowl, thoroughly mix ground beef, onion, salt, pepper and garlic powder.
Mix in bread, milk, egg, 2 tablespoons mustard and 1/4 cup tomato sauce.
Press the meat mixture into a 9x5 inch loaf pan or muffin pan.
In a small bowl, stir together remaining mustard, tomato sauce and brown sugar.
Pour on top of the meat loaf.
Bake in preheated oven for 2 hours or about 30 minutes for muffins.