Pages

Thursday, November 15, 2012

Texas Brisket

I have never been a big fan of brisket... until I found this recipe and I love it.  Any time I make it I have several requests for the recipe. 

1 (5 to 6-pound) brisket, trimmed but left with a layer of fat about 1/4- inch thick                                   
6 tablespoons House Seasoning, recipe follows                                   
3 tablespoons chili powder                                   
1 1/2 teaspoons brown sugar                                   
1 1/2 teaspoons onion powder                                   
1 teaspoon dried oregano                                   
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper 
 
House Seasoning
1 cup salt (I use 3/4 cup)
1/4 cup black pepper
1/4 cup garlic powder
Mix ingredients together and store in an airtight container for up to 6 months.
Yield: 1 1/2 cups                             
 
Rinse brisket thoroughly under cold water and pat dry with paper towels.
In a small bowl, mix together House Seasoning, chili powder, brown sugar, onion powder, oregano and cayenne.
Rub brisket with the rub on all sides.
I then cook it on 275 for about seven hours then 300 for the last hour. 
After you pull it out of the oven let it rest for ten minutes before cutting, if you cut to soon you lose part of the juice which makes it so yummy.
 
Texas Brisket