Pages

Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Baked Potato Soup

The past few days have been perfect soup weather so I wanted to share this tasty recipe with you.  Our family (hubby, the kids, and I) love this, in fact my kids all request that I make this whenever I am making out my menu's, although I do love this soup I highly doubt that I could eat it every week.  The first time I made this my handsome husband said it was better than his mom's potato soup ( shh don't tell ;) )  Seeing as how I didn't start cooking until we were married (I was 19 and didn't do much cooking the first year so let's say 20) I was super thrilled with this complement.  One night I made dinner for my neighbor's and took them this soup and they talked about it for a week and how much they liked the flavor.   



3 bacon strips, diced
1 small onion, chopped (Iuse powder) 
1 clove garlic, minced
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon dried basil
1/2 teaspoon pepper
3 cups chicken broth
2 large baked potatoes, peeled and cubed
1 cup half-and-half cream (I use cream) 
1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
Shredded Cheddar cheese
Minced fresh parsley
 
 
 
In a large saucepan, cook bacon until crisp.
Drain, reserving 1 tablespoon drippings.
Set bacon aside.
Saute onion and garlic in the drippings until tender.
Stir in flour, salt, basil and pepper; mix well.
Gradually add broth.
Bring to boil; boil and stir for 2 minutes.
Add the potatoes, cream and hot pepper sauce
Heat through but do not boil.
Garnish with bacon, cheese and parsley.
*I tend to add more garlic powder and onion powder
*I also stir in a can of cheddar cheese soup (Campbells) just to make it extra cheesy!
*The bacon drippings is what makes this recipe!

Blog Archive