Pages

Monday, January 7, 2013

Chicken Pot Pie

So we have been to The Lady and Sons (Paula Deens restaraunt) several times now and one of those times Phillip ordered a chicken pot pie.  He loved it, so today, I found the recipe and decided to make it for him.  After the first bite he said "this tastes like the one I had at Paulas".  To me that means success.  It was amazingly good and I loved how the golden lattice crust pretty much begged me to dig in.  Make sure to read my notes at the bottom!

  • 4 sheets frozen puff pastry (I used two because I made one big pie)
  • 1 egg, beaten
  • 4 chicken breast halves, or 2 cups leftover cooked chicken
  • Seasoned salt and pepper
  • 2 tablespoons cooking oil
  • 1/3 cup butter
  • 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1 quart heavy cream (I used about 3 cups...it's all I had and I thought it was plenty)
  • 1/4 cup chicken base (broth)
  • 1 tablespoon minced garlic
  • 1/2 small yellow onion, minced (I used onion powder this is just because I HATE the texture of onions)
  • 1 cup frozen green peas, cooked (I only used 1/2)
  • 1 cup chopped cooked carrots (I only used 1/2)
  • Pinch fresh grated nutmeg, optional (Didn't use)

  •  
    * I added about a cup of potatoes
    * I also grated a little fresh parmesean (about 1/4 cup) on before putting the crust on top.
     
     
    Crust:
    Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
    Cut each sheet of frozen puff pastry into 1-inch strips, 8 inches long.
    On a large cookie sheet, weave strips into a lattice large enough to cover each pot pie.
    Brush beaten egg onto each lattice square.
    Bake for 5 minutes, or until dough has risen and turned light golden brown.
    Set aside until ready to assemble pies.
    Leave oven on at 350 degrees F.

    Filling:
    Season chicken with seasoned salt and pepper.
    Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
    Add chicken and saute until cooked through.
    Remove from heat and cut into chunks.
    Alternatively, you may use precooked chicken.
    In a large saucepan, melt butter and then slowly add flour, stirring until consistency of peanut butter, but not brown like a roux.
    Slowly add cream and keep stirring.
    Add chicken base, garlic, and onion and stir until thickened.
    Add peas, carrots, nutmeg, if using, and cut up chicken.
    Remove from heat.
    Fill 4 individual oven-proof bowls with chicken mixture and then top each with a pre-cooked lattice square.
    Bake for 5 minutes or until bubbly.
    Any remaining pie filling may be frozen.

    *My five year old helped alot with this recipe, he really enjoyed making it together.

    Lady and Sons Chicken Pot Pie

    Blog Archive