Pages

Monday, March 4, 2013

French Toast

This weekend I realized I had never made french toast, I'm not really sure why but for some reason it just felt as if it would be a daunting task.  However I went ahead and whipped up a batch Saturday night and hubby loved it.  He even said it was better than IHOP.  So here is the recipe!

  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg (skipped this just because I didn't have any on hand)
  • 2 tablespoons sugar
  • 4 tablespoons butter
  • 4 eggs
  • 1/4 cup milk
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 8 slices challah, brioche, or white bread (I used french)
  • 1/2 cup maple syrup, warmed
  •  
    In a small bowl, combine, cinnamon, nutmeg, and sugar and set aside briefly.

    In a 10-inch or 12-inch skillet, melt butter over medium heat.

    Whisk together cinnamon mixture, eggs, milk, and vanilla and pour into a shallow container such as a pie plate.

    Dip bread in egg mixture.

    Fry slices until golden brown, then flip to cook the other side.

    Serve with syrup.

    I also dusted with a little bit of powdered sugar.  It was absolutely wonderful!

    Blog Archive