Pages

Thursday, April 25, 2013

Salted Chocolate Chip Caramel Cookies

These passed the test.  I often use my neighbor as my taste tester because when I whip these things up hubby is usually at work.  My neighbor gave me a fist bump and said " I haven't tasted anything like this before they are pretty darn good."  Start by making my regular chocolate chip cookies:

1 cup butter, softened
1 cup white sugar
1 cup packed brown sugar
2 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons hot water
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
1 cup chopped walnuts
 

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
  2. Cream together the butter, white sugar, and brown sugar until smooth.
  3. Beat in the eggs one at a time, then stir in the vanilla.
  4. Dissolve baking soda in hot water.
  5. Add to batter along with salt.
  6. Stir in flour, chocolate chips, and nuts.
  7. Drop by large spoonfuls onto ungreased pans. (This is where you add the caramel part)
  8. Bake for about 10 minutes in the preheated oven, or until edges are nicely browned.

So to make them with caramel unwrap about 25 of those small caramel squares.
Chop them into fairly small pieces, but don't add them yet.
Bake the cookies for about 5 minutes and then gently push in the caramel pieces (I found this way best)
After you pull them from the oven immediately add some ground up sea salt. 
I think maybe next time I will drizzle some caramel topping over the top.  ;)
 

Blog Archive