Pages

Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Hamburger Steaks and Brown Gravy

I remember my mother making this when I lived at home with my parents, but I have not had it since I got married, tonight I was thinking about comfort food and this popped into my head.  So I looked up a recipe and then tweaked it a little bit.  This was so good and the flavors blend together well.  The best part is that is is QUICK!

For the steaks:
1 pound ground beef
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon pepper
½ teaspoon onion powder
½ teaspoon garlic powder
I also added in about 1/4 cup of Italian bread crumbs to help hold it together better.

For the gravy:
2 tablespoons pan drippings (all the yummy stuff off the bottom)
2 tablespoons flour
1 ¾ cups beef broth
Salt & pepper to taste
 
Crumble ground beef in a medium bowl.
Add salt, pepper, onion powder and garlic powder
Mix it all up by hand (these are your best tools in the kitchen) 
Shape beef into four thick patties.
Heat a frying pan over medium-high heat.
Once the pan is good and hot, cook steaks on each side for 4-5 minutes or until nicely seared. Remove steaks and set aside (do not worry if they are cooked through, they will finish cooking in the gravy).
Reduce frying pan temperature to medium.
Pour off pan drippings into a cup or bowl then measure two tablespoons of the drippings and add back to the pan (the hamburgers should yield almost exactly two tablespoons but if you’re short, add melted bacon grease or butter).
Add flour to the pan and whisk to incorporate.
Continue cooking and whisking for about 1-2 minutes or until roux is medium brown.
Add beef stock and continue whisking for 2-3 minutes or until gravy starts to thicken a little (gravy will be fairly thin).
Add salt and pepper to taste.
Add hamburger steaks to gravy, reduce heat to medium-low and continue cooking uncovered for 10-15 minutes or until meat juices run clear and gravy has reduced and thickened.

Cooking the meat in the gravy gives it a flavor bonus, I do this with my chicken fried steak also.

This recipe is adapted from South Your Mouth.  http://www.southyourmouth.com/2012/09/hamburger-steaks-with-brown-gravy.html

Blog Archive