Pages

Saturday, September 7, 2013

Krispy Kreme Doughnuts... yes please!

Holy cow the calories in these have got to be insane, which is why I limited myself to half of one... however they are so good that I am not entirely sure I will keep that promise!  My kids LOVE them and hubby would love them but he got called into work this morning as I was making them... I guess he can try one when he gets home but I am sure they are much better warm.  My neighbor David just had one and told me if I wanted I could bring him another...  My dad is a doughnut snob and he is coming by a little later because he heard I was making these and offered his services in trying one for me so after I get his review I will update.  ;)



Ingredients:

- 2 T. Active Dry Yeast
- 1/4 cup Warm Water 
- 1 1/2 cups Lukewarm Milk
- 1/2 cup White Sugar
- 1 t. Salt
- 2 Eggs
- 1/3 cup Butter
- 5 cups All-Purpose Flour (I ended up using 6)
- 1 quart Vegetable Oil (for Frying)
 
Directions:

1. Dissolve yeast in the Warm Water with a tablespoon of White Sugar (let it sit for 5-10 minutes).

2. In a sauce pan warm the Milk, White Sugar, and Butter (do not boil just heat until lukewarm).

3. In a large mixing bowl, mix together the yeast mixture, milk mixture, eggs, salt, and 2 cups of Flour

4. Beat in remaining flour 1/2 cup at a time until dough no longer sticks to the bowl.
 
5. Knead the dough in mixing bowl or by hand for 10 minutes (kneading is very important)!
 
6.Place dough in a greased bowl, cover, and set aside in a warm place to allow the dough to double in size.

7. Turn the dough out onto a floured surface, and gently roll out to 1/2 in thickness.
 
8. Cut with floured doughnut cutter.
 
9. Place doughnuts on a baking sheet and let them rise until until double in size. 
 
10. Heat oil in a deep-fryer or large heavy skillet to 350 degree.
 
11. Slide doughnuts into the hot oil using a wide spatula.
 
12. Turn  doughnuts over as they rise to the surface.
 
13. Fry doughnuts on each side until golden brown.
 
14. Remove from hot oil and drain on a wire rack.
 
15. Dip doughnuts into the glaze while still hot.
 
16. Set onto wire racks to drain off excess, keep a cookie sheet under racks for easy clean up.
 
GLAZE RECIPE:
- 1/3 cup Butter
- 2 cups Confectioners' Sugar
- 1 1/2 t. Vanilla
- 4 T. Hot Water (I used 2 tb)
 
Heat butter in a saucepan over medium heat.
Stir in Sugar and Vanilla until smooth.
Remove from heat and stir in Hot Water 1 T. at a time until icing is somewhat thin but not watery. Set aside until doughnuts are ready to be glazed.

Blog Archive