Pages

Thursday, October 10, 2013

Caramel Apple Pie Cookies

My husband LOVES and I mean LOVES his grandmother's apple pie, so I made a choice years ago that I probably won't make him apple pie very often.  In his eyes there is no competing with his Nanny and I am fine with that.  In fact it is probably good for our marriage that I DON'T make him apple pie because he once told his mom, "this is good but not as good as Nanny's"  and I think I would hurt him if he said it to me in the same way it was said to his mother.  ;)  So... when I found this recipe I decided that this is different enough that I can make them and hopefully they won't be compared to anyone (I hope this mainly for his sake). 

He ended up really enjoying them and didn't say one word about his Nanny until... "You should tell my Nanny she has some competition."  Ha yeah right I am not telling her that!!!  I love her and think she is one of the funniest women I have ever met however she really enjoys making him this special treat and I think that if he said anything to her she might bury me in a deep hole. (JK) 

So here is the recipe that you have all been waiting for:

Caramel Apple Pie Cookies #recipe #cookies #apples #dessert

rolled ready made pie crusts (in the refrigerated section of your grocery store)
Caramel Topping
Apple Pie Filling
Cinnamon Sugar, optional (I used it because Phillip loves cinnamon sugar)

For other variations 
- Sprinkle apple layer with 2 tablespoons of toffee bits.
-use pie filling in your choice of flavors...imagine Cherry, Blueberry or Peach pie Cookies!


  1. Remove pie crusts from packaging and allow to rest at room temp for 5-10 minutes.
  2. Flour work surface and open one of the crusts. 
  3. Spread a thin layer of caramel topping evenly over crust. 
  4. Take the can of pie filling and run a knife through it to mince it to much smaller pieces, then spread about 1/2 to 3/4 of the can over the caramel layer. (I used about 1/2 the can)
  5. Dust apple layer with cinnamon-sugar.  (I used 1 tsp)
  6. Now open the second crust and use a pizza cutter to cut into thin strips to make the lattice tops.
  7. Using the pie crust strips, create a lattice top over the apple filling.     
  8. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. 
  9. Spray cookie sheet with non-stick spray. 
  10. Use a round cookie cutter [I used a drinking glass] to cut out your cookies and place them on prepared cookie sheet. 
  11. If desired, at this time, each cookie can be brushed with an egg wash or cream and sprinkled with coarse sugar. (I used another tsp cinnamon sugar mix)
  12. Bake for 15-20 minutes, until light golden brown.
I also baked my scraps... no one but us will see them anyway and they taste as good as the other!
http://theshadyporch.blogspot.com/2013/09/caramel-apple-pie-cookies.html

Blog Archive