Pages

Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Kentucky Derby Pie

I am helping my sister-in-law type recipes up for a fundraising cookbook that she is doing for their adoption, while typing I came a cross this recipe and it sounded way to good to not try.  So I stopped what I was doing and ran into my kitchen to mix it up (there is something so wonderful about hearing my kitchen aid mixer spinning).  Luckily I had made a couple of pie crusts earlier this week and hadn't frozen them yet so I was able to pull it straight out of the fridge.  This pie took me about five minutes to throw together what a great recipe to have on hand when you have company coming over.  It was wonderful!

1 cup sugar
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 cup English pecans or walnuts
2 eggs, beaten
1 stick real butter, melted & cooled
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons flour
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 refrigerated unbaked pie shell

Mix sugar and flour.
Slowly add beaten eggs and melted butter.
Once those are well stirred, add chocolate chips, nuts and vanilla.
Pour mixture into unbaked pie shell.
Bake at 350 for about 30 minutes.
Pie should be chewy, but not runny.
Test with toothpick.
This pie is best served with Blue Bell vanilla ice cream on top of it!

Blog Archive