Pages

Monday, December 30, 2013

Double Chocolate Mint Brownies

I stole this recipe from one of my Gooseberry Patch cookbooks that I was given as a gift (Best-Loved Baking Recipes) to make for a snack for the kiddos.  We all enjoyed them and I really like the almond extract (instead of the mint).  I will say though that these will not be one of our regulars.  Keep in mind these are VERY rich.

1 c. All-Purpose Flour
1 c. Sugar
1c. Plus 6 tb Butter (Softened and Divided)
4 Eggs (Beaten)
16 oz. can Chocolate Syrup
2 c. Powdered Sugar
1 tb Water
1/2 t. Mint Extract (I used almond)
3 drops Green Food Coloring (I didn't add this)
1 c. Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips

Beat flour, sugar, 1/2 cup butter, eggs and syrup in a large bowl until smooth.
Pour into a greased 13x9 baking pan. (I lined mine with foil and then greased that makes cleanup MUCH easier)
Bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes (Mine took 28)
Cool completely IN the pan.
Combine powdered sugar, 1/2 cup butter, water, extract, and food coloring.
Beat until smooth.
Spread over brownies and chill.
Melt chocolate chips and remaining 6 tb butter in a double boiler.
Stir until smooth.
Pour over chilled mint layer.
Cover and chill until set.
Cut into small squares and serve.

Blog Archive