Pages

Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Rocky Road (S'more) Bar Cookies

One of my hobbies, besides cooking, is reading I have loved to read and have done so since I was a child.  Growing up I was hooked on Nancy Drew, Babysitters Club, Little House on the Prairie, the Mandi Books, Sweet Valley and the Boxcar Children just to name a few.  Now I love any book by Mary Higgins Clark and/ or her daughter, Diane Mott Davidson, Leslie Meier, and JoAnn Fluke. 

For me reading is a great escape and when you combine two of my favorite things (cooking and reading) I am hooked.  This recipe is from a book by JoAnn Fluke... she recently compiled all her recipes from the books she has written into one cookbook and my wonderful husband bought it for me this year for Christmas.  This was one of the most exciting things, he got major points!

Another one of my passions is cooking with my kids every night while making dinner one of them helps me, now don't get me wrong this can be stressful but it is also a special time for us.  It gives me one on one time with that particular child and we are able to talk without too many interruptions.  I remember cooking with my grandmother and it is one of my best memories of my childhood. 

So today after school Nathan and I made these, it was very simple and he did most of it himself, don't worry I chopped the pecans and put it in and pulled it out of the oven.  I don't need any mad grandmother's ;-).  He is very excited to taste his creation (it is still cooling) but I can tell you that judging by the smell it is going to be good!!!

24 graham crackers or 12 double ones (I didn't need near that many)
2 cups mini marshmallows (white NOT colored)
1 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
1 cup salted cashews (I used pecans)
1/2 cup butter (this is on stick)
1/2 cup brown sugar (pack it firmly into the cup)
1 tsp vanilla extract (mine is from Honduras and is AMAZING)

Spray 9x13 inch pan with non stick spray.
Line the bottom of the pan with graham crackers.
Sprinkle marshmallows on top.
Next sprinkle on the chocolate chips.
Now you add the nuts.
In a small saucepan over LOW heat combine the butter and sugar.
Stir constantly until the sugar has dissolved.
Remove from heat and add the vanilla.
Drizzle the mixture over the layers in your cake pan.
Bake at 350 degrees for 10-12 minutes. (Till the marshmallows are golden on top)
Cool before cutting!

Blog Archive