Pages

Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Sopapillas


I am going to start off this blog post telling you that my sopapillas did not get quite as fluffy as I was hoping, however they were still wonderful.  In fact I might be eating my third one while I am typing this... Don't judge me!  

The main reason I decided to try this recipe over some of the others I found was because the dough didn't need to sit.  I liked that I could pretty much mix it up and throw it in the fryer.  Not only were these quick and easy to make they also tasted great as I am sure you figured out when I told you I was eating my third one.  Just to be fair the first one was because I had to try them to make sure they were not poisonous before serving them to my family, the second was after dinner with my family, and the third one was to help me jog my memory while writing this post. ;-)  

I hope you enjoy these as much as our family did!

2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons vegetable shortening
3/4 cup warm water
Cinnamon-sugar (1 teaspoon ground cinnamon mixed with 1/4 cup sugar)
Honey

In a large bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, and salt.  
Cut in shortening, mixing together until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.  
Gradually stir in water just until dough pulls together. I did this step in my food processor and it literally took just moments.

Divide dough into 5 pieces.  
Roll out each piece of dough on a lightly floured surface into an 8-inch diameter circle.  
Cut each circle into 4 wedges.

Heat about 1 - 2 cups oil (I set my heat to medium high) in a deep frying pan.  (When the oil is good and hot) Add a few of the the tortilla wedges at a time.  
The wedges will puff up.  
Turn once so they will puff evenly on both sides; then turn back to brown on both sides.

Drain on paper towels.  
While warm, coat each sopapilla with cinnamon-sugar mixture.  
Serve with honey. 

Makes 20 pillowy crispy clouds of deliciousness

http://www.savourytable.com/2012/10/muy-bueno-spotlight-3-vangies.html

Blog Archive