Pages

Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Easy Tomato Soup and Grilled Cheese Croutons

I know I know, it's 75 degrees outside and I am making soup, but this soup was delicious and beyond that it is the epitomy of comfort food.  Everyone in our family loved it and when you have five people that agree on something then you know it is a keeper.  Having the heavy cream in the soup makes it silky and smooth. 

Instead of using the grilled cheese as croutons I just made little sandwiches and did it that way, I was worried about the bread getting soggy in the soup.  After ladling the soup into the bowls I topped with some fresh Parm and it tasted great.  Hubby said that I had to add it to the blog and I have to add it to our soup rotation!

3 tbsp good olive oil,
3 cup yellow onion, chopped (I used 3 tsp)                       
1 tbsp garlic, minced                        
4 cup chicken stock                       
1 can (28 ounce) crushed tomatoes (I cheated and just used a jar of Garlic and Herb Spaghetti sauce)
1 large pinch saffron, (I didn't have any so I left it out)                       
1 kosher salt,
1 black pepper, freshly ground
1/2 cup heavy cream (This can be fairly pricey but it is worth it)                     

                       
1 grilled cheese crouton, recipe below:
4 slice (1/2 inch thick) country white bread,
2 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
4 oz gruyere cheese, grated (I used sharp cheddar because it is easier to find)

Tomato Soup:
In a large pot or Dutch oven, heat olive oil over medium heat.
Add onions and cook over medium-low heat for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until golden brown.
Add garlic and cook for 1 more minute.
Stir in chicken stock, tomatoes, saffron, 1 tablespoon of salt and 1 teaspoon of pepper.
Bring the soup to a boil, then lower heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
Stir in cream, return the soup to a simmer and cook for 10 more minutes, stirring frequently.
Serve hot with Grilled Cheese Croutons scattered on top.
 
Grilled Cheese Croutons:
Heat a panini grill.
Place four slices of bread on a cutting board and brush lightly with melted butter, being sure to butter the corners.
Turn the slices over and pile gruyere on two of the slices.
Place the remaining two slices of bread on top of the gruyere, buttered sides up.
Grill sandwiches for about 5 minutes until nicely browned.
Place on a cutting board, allow to rest for 1 minute and cut into 1 inch cubes.
 
Easy Tomato Soup & Grilled Cheese Croutons
 

Blog Archive