Pages

Friday, April 18, 2014

Baked Egg Boats

This was a great breakfast it smelled wonderful while it was baking in the oven, I did make a few changes so make sure you read my notes at the bottom!
 
4 demi sourdough baguettes (I used 1 large loaf of French bread, our store was out of Baguettes)
5 eggs ( I used 4 eggs)
1/3 cup heavy cream
4 ounces pancetta, finely chopped and fried until crisp (This is just an Italian type of bacon)
3 ounces gruyere cheese, grated (I did 1/3 a cup and then sprinkled more across the top)
2 green onions, thinly sliced (I did 1 tsp onion powder)
salt and pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Cut a deep “V” through the tops of each baguette until about a 1/2 inch to the bottom. Partially unstuff the baguettes. Set aside.
Place the eggs and cream into a mixing bowl and lightly beat together. Whisk in the remaining ingredients and lightly season with salt and pepper.
Divide and pour the mixture into each baguette boat and place onto a baking sheet.
Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown, puffed and set in the center. Season with salt and pepper.
Allow to cool for about 5 minutes, cut and serve.
 
* After I hollowed out my bread I melted 2 tb of butter and then stirred in 1 tsp garlic salt and brushed it on the bread for a little extra flavor!
* If you are like me and don't care for bacon then you can spread some cheese over the eggs and then put the bacon on top so that you can control where the bacon goes better than if you mix it in.
 
 
 

Blog Archive