Pages

Friday, May 16, 2014

Crock Pot Cashew Chicken

It seems like lately I have had several people asking me about slow cooker or crockpot meals, so I decided I needed to add a few more to the blog.  Honestly we aren't big on crockpot or freezer meals.  A crockpot can be such a great convinince but I sometimes feel like the meals can be lacking in flavor.  However...

This dish was wonderful, the flavors blend together really well and make your taste buds dance.  The smell of the chicken while it was cooking made my stomach rumble and first thing hubby commented on was how great it smelled.  Everyone in our family enjoyed it and almost all of us went back for more. 

Another great thing about this meal is that it is cheap!!!  Just add some fried rice (I had rice left over from earlier this week and just made fried rice with it) and you have a meal.  I fed a family of 5 for under $6 AND we have leftovers for hubby to take to work!  Most of the ingredients are things that you have in your pantry now, so go ahead, try this dish out tomorrow.

2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts (About 4 pieces)
1/4 cup all purpose flour or gluten-free flour
1/2 tsp black pepper
1 Tbsp olive, grapeseed or safflower oil
1/4 cup soy sauce or tamari
2 Tbsp rice wine vinegar (I didn't have any so I used red wine vinegar)
2 Tbsp ketchup
1 Tbsp brown sugar
1 garlic clove, minced
1/2 tsp grated fresh ginger
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
1/2 cup cashews 

Crock pot cashew chicken!
 


Combine flour and pepper in resealable food storage bag.
Add chicken.
Shake to coat with flour mixture. 
Heat oil in skillet over medium-high heat.

Brown chicken about 2 minutes on each side.
Place chicken in slow cooker.
Combine soy sauce, vinegar, ketchup, sugar, garlic, ginger, and pepper flakes in small bowl; pour over chicken. 
Cook on LOW for 3 to 4 hours.

Add cashews and stir. 
Serve over rice.

Makes 4-6 servings.

https://www.milehighorganics.com/p-27-recipes.html#CashewChicken

Blog Archive