Pages

Friday, May 30, 2014

Homemade Pesto

I LOVE pesto it is so yummy!  The only bad thing about pesto is that it can be uber expensive just a little tube of it can be $5 or more, I pride myself on being able to feed the five people in my family on a budget and if I used pesto often it would blow that budget out of the water.  So I decided to go ahead and find a recipe so that I can make my own after all homemade is typically better anyway and I prefer not having all the extra junk added into it. 

So with that being said I decided to go with this particular version of pesto.  I loved making it up and hubby and I enjoyed eating it, I didn't think the kids would like it so I left it off their sandwiches!

2 cups fresh parsley
½ cup extra virgin olive oil
½ cup Parmesan cheese, grated
1/3 cup nuts ( I used pecans... it's what I had on hand)
1 tsp house seasoning (find the recipe on my blog :-) )
1 pint jar

Rinse your parsley leaves and pat dry.
Add them to the food processor with the nuts and pulse several times.
Next, add the olive oil and blend until smooth.
Add the Parmesan cheese and pulse.
You may need to scrape any ingredients that have stuck to the side of your processor throughout the blending process.
Add in house seasoning and pulse
Transfer your pesto to a clean pint or half pint jar.
A thin layer of olive oil should begin to accumulate on top of the pesto. 
Twist the lid on the jar and refrigerate. 
For the pesto to keep up to a year, it is important to add a thin layer of olive oil to coat the top between uses.

Post image for Homemade Pesto Recipe (And How to Preserve It)

Blog Archive