Pages

Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Buttermilk Pound Cake

 Last night we celebrated my birthday, my husbands birthday and my mothers birthday I know you are thinking that is a ton of July birthdays but it gets better.  My husband is July 17th, my great grandfather and grandmother were July 19th and 20th and my mom, aunt and uncle are all the 21st and I finish it up on the 22nd of July  Our family liked to keep warm in the winter.  ;-)

Anyway back to the point of the story, last night we celebrated our birthdays and my mother wanted a "plain" pound cake.  So I made her a "plain" pound cake, this was my first time making a pound cake and my sister in law told me twice how much she liked it...  This made me so happy!  This recipe was great however it took a little longer than I expected, I think I used a different size pan. 

My cake was great however the best part of the night was that I got to see my two super cute nieces.  One of them gave me such a big hug and squeezed tight when she was leaving (the other is a baby).  It made my night.

One more short story my oldest (6) was outside playing and found a baby frog.  Of course daddy told him he could bring it home and of course daddy was in a different vehicle.  About half way through the ride home we have this conversation.

Nathan- "uh oh I lost my pet frog"
Me- "Umm what do you mean you lost your pet frog?"
Nathan- "Remember the frog I caught at Nanny's?  Daddy said I could bring him home."
Me- "So now he is loose in my car????"
Nathan- "Yep but I trained him to do tricks so if I say come here he will."
Me- "You trained the frog in the 25 minutes you have had him?"
Nathan- "Frogs are smart mom."
 
Needless to say we didn't find the frog and I might have freaked out a bit.

 
1 cup butter, softened
2-1/2 cups sugar
4 eggs
3 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup buttermilk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Confectioners' sugar, optional

In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
Combine flour and baking soda; add alternately with buttermilk and beat well.
Stir in vanilla.                            
Pour into a greased and floured 10-in. fluted tube pan.
Bake at 325° for 70 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
Cool in pan for 15 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.
Dust with confectioners' sugar if desired.
Yield: 16-20 servings.


Buttermilk Pound Cake Recipe
 




Blog Archive