Pages

Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Rosa's Biscuits

Before my grandmother got Parkinson's (and several other issues) she loved to cook and was pretty good at it.  Now it is kind of scary to have her anywhere near a kitchen, but in her day she was a wonderful cook.  She is actually part of the reason I love cooking so much.  My mother wasn't much of a cook or baker so my Grammy and I always made goodies together.  She loves (still) reading cooking magazines and cookbooks and has given me several.   

A few years ago I was able to score the Bon Appetit magazine for $12 for 3 years... yep that's 36 issues for next to nothing.  As I was going through some of the magazines/cookbooks my grandmother gave me I found a few of the OLDER issues of Bon Appetit.  It makes me happy to know that we like the same magazines. 

Today I was looking through my newest issue and found this recipe, these were everyone's favorite part of the meal, we ALL loved them!  I made them earlier in the day and just popped them in the oven...

cups all-purpose flour
¾ cup sugar
teaspoons baking powder
teaspoons kosher salt, plus more
1 cup (2 sticks) chilled unsalted butter, cut into pieces; plus 6 Tbsp. (¾ stick), melted
¾ cup chilled buttermilk (I used whole milk... it's all I had)

Preheat oven to 350°.
Whisk flour, sugar, baking powder, and 1½ tsp. salt in a large bowl.
Add chilled butter and toss to coat.
Work butter into flour mixture with your fingers until mixture resembles coarse meal with several pea-size pieces of butter remaining.
Using a fork, gently mix in buttermilk, then gently knead just until dough comes together (do not overmix).
Pinch off pieces of dough and gently roll into 1” balls; place on 2 parchment-lined baking sheets, spacing 2” apart (you should have about 24).
If butter softens too much while you are working, chill dough until firm before baking, 15–20 minutes.
Bake biscuits until golden brown, 25–30 minutes.
Brush with melted butter and sprinkle with more salt.
Serve warm.

Raegan Mirick's photo.

http://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/rosas-biscuits

Blog Archive