Pages

Friday, September 19, 2014

Sloppy Joe Casserole

When I was younger my parents both worked full time jobs, my dad worked shift work and my mom worked during the day.  They both had great jobs but my mother decided to go back to school in the evenings which meant one thing, dad was in charge of dinner two nights a week.  My dad is good at a lot of things but cooking would not be his specialty.

I remember that during this time we were at Sonic every Tuesday for the 99 cent burgers and my dad, who is a pinny pincher, wouldn't let us add cheese because that was another 25 cents.  'We have cheese at home wait till we get there and slap some on and throw it in the microwave."  Now let me take a moment to say that we were by no means poor my dad was just extremely cheap then.  Which has worked out well for us now because they have several vacation homes we are able to use!

The other thing that stands out in my memory is the one of two things my dad could cook, and that was sloppy joe (the other was frito pie).  I mean honestly it doesn't take a whole lot of talent and it is very quick so this was our dinner on Thursdays.  EVERY Thursday... for two years, which could explain why I haven't had sloppy joes in over 16 years. 

Now that you know all the traumas of my childhood I want you to know that I gave it a try.  I made sloppy joe, but not your traditional sloppy joe I changed it up slightly and did a casserole.  Hubby and my pickiest eater liked it, I was on the fence and the other two little's didn't like it at all.  I would make it again though but might add a little more spice to it so it isn't quite so sweet!

1-1/2 pounds lean ground beef
1 large white onion, diced
1 large green bell pepper, diced
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
2 teaspoons dry mustard
1 teaspoon garlic salt
1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
3/4 cup ketchup
2 cups Gold Medal® whole wheat flour (I used regular)
3 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1-1/3 cup milk
6 tablespoons melted butter
2 large eggs
1-1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese

Preheat oven to 400°F.
In a large skillet over medium heat, cook the ground beef until browned.
Add the diced onion and bell pepper and let sauté until tender, about 5 minutes.
Stir in the brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce, dry mustard and garlic salt.
Add the tomato sauce and ketchup and stir until well combined.
Let mixture simmer over low heat while you prepare the topping.
For the topping, add the flour, baking powder and salt to a large bowl.
Stir in the milk, melted butter, and eggs until well combined.
Fold in the shredded cheese.
Pour the meat mixture into a 13 by 9-inch baking dish.
Spread the topping evenly over the meat mixture.
Bake for 25-30 minutes or until the crust is light golden brown.

Sloppy Joe Casserole

http://goldmedalflour.com/OurBakerBlog/Sloppy%20Joe%20Casserole

Blog Archive