Pages

Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Moist Pecan Almond Loaf Cake

I keep putting this on my menu and haven't had a chance to make it till now, I think I kept putting it off because it has to cook for so long.  Let me tell you though it is well worth the wait, it is light and moist and I adore the mix of almonds and pecans!  I will worn you it has a spongy texture so if you aren't into that then don't make this.

Making this dish made me think of my dad's mom.  I LOVE the smell of almond extract it is just heavenly, it reminds me of Jergen's hand lotion.  My grandmother uses Jergens all the time and it is one of the smells that I associate with her and her home.

I hope that you will enjoy this cake, and that it will make you think of something special from your childhood like it did for me.

3/4 cup softened butter
3/4 cup milk
1 1/2 cups regular sugar
3 eggs (lightly beaten)
1 cup Plain / All purpose flour (sieved)
1 1/2 Teaspoons baking powder
1/2 Teaspoon salt
1 Teaspoon Almond Extract
3/4 Cup chopped Pecans
1 cup Ground Almonds
 
Heat oven to 300 F.
Grease and line your baking tin.
Get all your ingredients ready, sieve the flour, and add the salt and baking powder to the flour and also the ground almonds.
Start with making the cake batter by creaming the butter and sugar until a pale light color.
Add the almond extract.
Slowly add the beaten eggs to the mixer, on a low speed setting, a bit at a time.
If the mixture starts to curdle or split, add a spoonful of your sieved flour, keep on adding the eggs, and a bit of flour if necessary, until all the eggs are added.
Add half the milk with half of the flour mixture, keeping the mixer on a slow speed.
Once combined, add the rest of the milk and flour.
Finally add the pecans and make sure they're all distributed.
Transfer the cake mixture to the greased and lined loaf tin then place in the oven for 1hr and 20 minutes.
Test after 1 hr 10 minutes if the cake is done by inserting a skewer into the thickest part. If it comes out clean, it's ready!
Allow to cool for 5 minutes in the pan then transfer to a cooling rack.
 
Moist Pecan Almond Loaf Cake
 

Blog Archive