Pages

Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Caramel Cashew Chewies

One of my favorite things about Thanksgiving is black Friday (err Thursday shopping)  I LOVE it!  We eat brunch, then scope out the adds, make our list, and order what we can online.  Then we hit up the stores, in fact we were at Wal Mart by two!  My brother had his heart set on a 65 inch tv (which he was first in line for).  We have this thing down to a science we always sneak around and get everything in our buggy before six so that we can check out as soon as possible and then we are out the door.  It feels kind of weird having to hide something I am about to pay for but hey it's worth it.   We were out of Wal Mart and had picked up the television before most people had even gotten their first few items. 
 
As a side note it bothers me when people come to the store on the busiest shopping day of the year for their normal groceries... I feel bad for them, they should either get their stuff ahead of time or go to Albertsons or Brookshires.  Wal Mart is to crazy for that mess!
 
So what does all of this have to do with my blog?  While at WM they had a TON of Taste Of Home Cookbooks for $5 and well you all know my obsession with cookbooks.  So I bought the 8 of them I didn't already have.  I have been going through them to see what I would like to make one day and came across this recipe in the Best Loved Cookies & More.  I saw it while waiting in the pick up line and as soon as we came home I made it while the kids were doing homework.  It is gorgeous and delicious!  You need to have these in your life.
 
3/4 cup butter
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 egg
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 cup oats
1 pkg (14 ounces) caramel
1/3 cup half and half (I used whipping cream)
1 cup semi sweet chocolate chunks
1 cup salted cashew halves (chopped)
 
In a large bowl, cream butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy.
Beat in egg.
Combine flour and oats; gradually add to creamed mixture.
Press into a 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan coated with cooking spray.
Bake at 350° for 15-18 minutes or until golden brown.
Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine caramels and cream.
Cook over low heat for 4-5 minutes or until caramels are melted, stirring occasionally.
Pour over crust.
Sprinkle with chocolate chunks and cashews.
Bake for 8-10 minutes or until chocolate is melted.
Cool on a wire rack before cutting.
 
Caramel Cashew Chewies Recipe
 
 

Blog Archive