Pages

Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Florets With Cheese Sauce

Yesterday I was looking through a Taste Of Home magazine and found this recipe it looked wonderful and I instantly decided it would be on our dinner menu.  The cheese sauce was "bombtastic" according to my kiddos.  I was very impressed that my oldest asked for seconds and that the other two ate theirs without too much complaining.  They did tell me they don't like "the white broccoli as much as the green" but I figure since this was the first time they ever had cauliflower it was a great response!  Phillip really enjoyed it and said that he wouldn't mind having it again soon.
 
3 cups fresh cauliflowerets                            
3 cups fresh broccoli florets
2 tablespoons butter
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup milk
1 cup (4 ounces) shredded sharp cheddar cheese
4 to 5 drops hot pepper sauce      (I didn't add this)                     
 
Place cauliflower and broccoli in a large steamer basket; place in a large saucepan over 1 in. of water. Bring to a boil; cover and steam for 12-15 minutes or until crisp-tender.                                
Meanwhile, in another large saucepan, melt butter.
Stir in the flour, mustard and salt until smooth; gradually add milk.
Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
Reduce heat; add cheese and pepper sauce.
Stir until cheese is melted.
Add vegetables and toss to coat.                                        

 Raegan Mirick's photo.
 

Blog Archive