Pages

Monday, July 13, 2015

Bacon Breakfast Casserole

I am sitting here with the worst headache I have ever had, in fact I want to just crawl into bed and cry.  My head is throbbing!  Sadly even though I feel awful I still have responsibility.  Who knew being a grown up was such hard work?

 I mean honestly can't my kids take care of themselves?  (In all actuality they pretty much are taking care of themselves).  The only thing I really have to do is make sure my daughter has on her cheer clothes so she can go to class soon, then pick up the pizza I just ordered from my computer. 

While I would much rather have a home cooked meal Pizza Hut is coming to the rescue today, and if I didn't have to get out to take Belle to cheer I probably would have splurged and had it delivered...  now that my friends is luxury. 

Ok so on to what you are really here for... a recipe.  I made this dish for our Life Group on Sunday.  It is slightly different from the version I usually make and everyone loved it.  Several of the men went back for seconds and one of them even went for thirds but I am keeping his identity a secret.  ;-)  By the time class was over the entire pan was completely empty... it kind of looked like it had been scraped clean.

8 oz of bacon, cooked and then crumbled into small pieces
4 cups of shredded hash browns
1 cup of cheese (I used a Mexican blend, cheddar would be great too)
1 can (12oz) of evaporated milk (we used fat free and turned out fine)
1/2 cup of finely chopped onion
3 eggs
1 teaspoon of Lawry's seasoned salt

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees if you are making this right away.
Spray your 9x13 pan with cooking spray.
Spread 2 cups of shredded potatoes and 1/4 cup of the onion in the baking pan.
Add half of the bacon (4oz) and 1/2 cup of the cheese.
Then repeat the process again to create a second layer. 
When you have added the second layer, mix the eggs, evaporated milk and Lawry's and pour the mixture evenly on top of the layers.
*If you will be baking this the next morning, cover and refrigerate.
Bake at 350 degrees for 60 minutes while covered with foil. (45 minutes was plenty in my oven)
Remove foil and cook for an additional 5 minutes until cheese starts to brown a little bit.
 
Raegan Mirick's photo.
We were rushed and I forgot to take an after picture.
 

Blog Archive