Pages

Saturday, July 4, 2015

Cinnamon Apple Pie Recipe

I was asked, kind of last minute, to bring a dessert to a going away party we were attending.  Since I needed some new recipes for the blog I decided to do an apple pie and peach cobbler. 

Hubby is a big apple pie fan and will give me an honest opinion.  He said on a scale of 1-10 this would be an 8.  He said that the last apple pie I made was better, since that was a few years ago, I have no clue where that particular recipe is.  He couldn't really specify what he would change though so he wasn't a whole lot of help. ;-)

I think this is a great recipe, but I will probably go back to my quest to find something he likes better!

1 box prepared pie crust (I made my own)
⅓ cup flour
½ cup white sugar
1 cup brown sugar
2 teaspoons cinnamon
Dash salt
8 cups Mcintosh apples, chopped
2 tablespoons butter
1 egg
1 teaspoon cinnamon sugar, reserved
 
Preheat the oven to 425-degrees.
In a large bowl, toss the apple pieces with the flour, sugar, and cinnamon.
Let them sit while -preparing the crust.
Line the bottom of a 9inch pie plate with one piece of the crust.
Spoon the apple mixture into the pie plate.
Cut the butter into small pieces and place on top of the pie.
You can prepare your top crust however you like, but at a minimum, add a few slits to allow the steam to escape.
You could also use cute pie top cutters to create a design on top that will make your pies look very beautiful.
Carefully add the top crust and pinch the edges to seal.
Beat the egg in a small bowl.
Brush the top of the pie with the egg wash, and use the egg wash to place any pieces of cut crust you have.
Sprinkle the top of the pie crust with the reserved cinnamon sugar mixture.
Put the pie on a foil lined baking sheet and bake for 30 minutes.
Brush again with egg wash (if needed), and bake for another 15-20 minutes until golden brown.
Remove to a cooling rack and let set for 10-15 minutes before cutting.
Serve with vanilla ice cream, if desired.
 
Raegan Mirick's photo.
 
Raegan Mirick's photo.
 
 

Blog Archive