Pages

Saturday, September 12, 2015

Beer Cheese Soup

Made this for dinner last night because the kids have been begging for soup.  Everyone seemed to like it, mommy, daddy and Belle liked it the most.  I think my boys just liked it because it involved bacon.  ;-) 

This recipe is quick and easy to make, I'm pretty sure it would have been easier if my kids hadn't opened the front door... and accidently let the dog bolt into the front yard.  Not sure what Batman's plan was but he took off down the street and of course Nathan grabbed his leash and ran after him, which meant I had to stand outside and watch for him instead of watching my soup.  Luckily I had turned it down and the bacon was just cooking so nothing burned.

6-12 slices thick cut bacon
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup flour
4 teaspoons garlic powder 

1 teaspoon smoked paprika
2 teaspoon kosher salt
2 teaspoon pepper
2 cups beer, I used Blue Moon
2 cup chicken broth
4 cups half and half
16 ounces mild cheddar cheese, shredded
2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
croutons

Warm a stock pot over med-high heat. 

Using scissors; cut bacon into the pot. 
Cook bacon till slightly crisp, stirring often.
Remove the bacon from the pan and place on a plate. 
Cut butter into pieces and add to the bacon drippings. 

Whisk in flour and all spices.  
Add in beer, broth and half & half. 
Whisk to combine and bring to a bubble. 
Add in the cheese and stir to combine. 
Add Worcestershire sauce.
Stir to combine.
Garnish generously with cheese, bacon, and croutons.


Raegan Mirick's photo.