Pages

Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Poor Man's Soup

The plan for last night wasn't too have soup, the plan was to have chicken.  However when I pulled my chicken out of the refrigerator it didn't look quite as fresh as I would like.  That meant that on my busiest evening this week I had to come up with a plan b. 

I found a recipe for Poor Man's Stew and planned on making it but ended up changing it up so much that I can't even say it is the same recipe.  My finished version was delicious though and the kids all ate it happily.  Jacob my middle child was so thrilled because I made cornbread to go with it and he LOVES cornbread, which I find slightly odd because he is my pickiest eater.

This soup was thrown together quickly and while it simmered I was able to whip up the cornbread.  Sadly I was so rushed getting the kids to cheer and cubscouts that I forgot to take a picture.

1 lb. ground beef, browned and drained
1.5 lbs potatoes, diced large
 1 carrot, sliced
2 (8-oz.) can tomato sauce
1 can beef broth
1 can chicken broth
2 tsp. garlic powder
2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
2 tsp. onion powder
2 tsp. house seasoning
 
Add all ingredients to a large stock pot and simmer.
This dish is great with cornbread muffins!