Pages

Tuesday, February 2, 2016

Tortellini and Swedish Meatball Soup

I have a sick child which is no fun.  She and I spent most of the day cuddling and watching cartoons and the rest of the day at the doctor.  Luckily her strep test came back negative and after $120 we learned she just has a really bad viral infection that is going around.

When we got home I needed something to cook for dinner and I needed to come up with it quickly.  A little while back I had made some Swedish meatballs and thrown them in the freezer in case I ever needed something at the last minute! 

After a little bit of thinking I remembered I had grabbed some tortellini during my last shopping trip at Aldi, so I decided to make a soup.  The only thing I don't like about Swedish meatballs and pasta is the sour cream.  If you have made any of my recipes you notice that I often sub sour cream and mayo with ranch...  For this recipe I decided to use whipping cream, because ranch would just be NASTY (while this ups the calories it also makes it soooo smooth). 

It took a little bit to get the spices exactly right but it was well worth the effort the kids, hubby and I all loved this soup.  I hope that you enjoy it! 

Swedish meatballs
3 cups whipping cream, divided                                                        
4 tablespoon butter                            
6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoon beef bouillon granules
1 teaspoon pepper
4 teaspoons garlic salt
2 teaspoons onion powder                           
6 cups beef broth or water                           
Tortellini       
Fresh chopped parsley   
Fresh parmesan cheese           

In a large stock pot or dutch oven, brown meatballs in butter.
Remove from the pan; set aside.                             
Add flour, bouillon, pepper, garlic salt and onion powder to pan.
Stir until smooth.
Gradually add in water then bring to a boil.
Reduce heat; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thick.
Add tortellini and meatballs.
Reduce heat and simmer for 25 minutes.
Stir in cream.
Heat through.
Top with fresh chopped parsley and parmesan cheese.