Pages

Friday, March 31, 2017

Spring Break 2017 Day 8

On our 8th day the goal was to go explore the Amish country.  While hubby drove, I googled everything I possibly could to learn more about this group of people.  If you have never done so I suggest doing some research, the culture is very interesting and seems so foreign.

We were lucky enough to get to go on a carriage ride we went through town and then out to one of the farms.  There was still a ton of snow so when we left the main road and started across the snow it became a little treacherous.  There were a couple of times where I thought the buggy might actually turn over.  My husband even asked the driver if he had ever flipped a cart before.





Ugliest mule EVER!









As most of you know the Amish typically do not have electricity or cars, they do however use propane to heat their houses.  When we went to Amish country I expected the houses to be little and log type structures, BUT their houses were huge and looked nice from the outside.  While we were talking, I was trying to figure out how they could afford such big homes.  Hubby reminded me that they don’t have to pay for cars, insurance, college, most of the land is passed down, and they grow most of their food. 





While driving we saw this Amish school where all the kiddos go till they are in 8th grade.  I made hubby stop for a picture, he was soooooo embarrassed.



On our way out of town we stopped and bought a few goodies for ourselves, the kids friends and their teachers.  I got Macadamia Nut cookies which were amazing, hubby got chocolate fudge cookies that he wouldn’t share, and I also got several packages of pretzels for the kiddos teachers.  When we got back one of the teachers said they were the best pretzels she had ever had!  




We happened to be in a town with a couple of outlet malls.  Hubby had decided he wanted a new backpack so we stopped at a few stores for him to look.  He hadn't found anything yet so I suggested stopping in the Coach store.  If you know me at all, you know how much I love their bags.  My heart was over joyed when hubby bought his first Coach bag lol.



Before we went back to the resort we stopped for a yummy dinner at a local brew house.  The food was delicious and hit the spot!